Copyediting, formatting and proofreading
You’ve been researching, writing, editing and fine tuning your masterpiece over months or even years, and finally, it’s almost ready for publication—but having read over your work for what seems like the hundredth time, you feel you need a professional editor to ensure your work meets the highest standards.
Whether your manuscript needs a light touch to add shine or a heavier hand to improve flow, the Detail Devil can help. The following options have been designed with you in mind.
Contact me for a quotation, to ask a question, to discuss a project or to book my services.
Option 1: Copyedit (one pass)
One read (or ‘pass’) of sentence-level editing, which includes my recommendations using tracked changes, flagging any issues or queries by way of a comment in the margin. This option requires you, upon return of your manuscript, to review each of my recommendations and accept or reject each change. It will not be returned to me for any further work. During this pass, I will review and amend mechanical errors and
- ensure appropriate use of language such as grammar, syntax, punctuation, spelling (e.g., Australian, UK or US) and clarity of expression
- ensure consistent use of language (capitalisation, hyphenation, abbreviation, etc.)
- crosscheck in-text references to your reference list, flagging inconsistencies and errors
- ensure adherence to the American Psychological Association’s Manual of Style (6th edition) or preferred style guide
- create an editorial summary and style sheet, which records my decisions made with regard to language and style issues.
This option does not include
- any items in Option 3 (although I will flag any issues I notice as a comment in the margin)
- manuscript preparation (see Option 4)
- reference formatting (see Option 5)
- rewriting, restructuring, or substantive editing
- research or fact checking.
Option 2: Copyedit (two passes)
The second pass is for less routine matters that can often be better addressed only after a full read of the manuscript. Following your careful review of my queries, comments and recommendations made during the first pass, your manuscript will be returned to me. During the second pass copyedit I will
- perform a ‘clean up’, accepting or rejecting recommendations according to your review and ensure no new errors have been inadvertently introduced
- further tighten your writing by revising overly wordy sentences, ensuring tense issues have been fully addressed, reviewing the use of passive voice over active and removing repetitions and redundancies
- iron out any remaining inconsistencies
- pick up anything that may have been missed during the first pass.
The second pass usually takes less time than the first due to familiarity with the manuscript.
Option 3: Proofreading
Proofreading follows copyediting and is the final check that your document is ready for publication. During the proofread, I will
- ensure no errors have crept through from rounds of copyediting or formatting
- look at visual elements (typography, heading hierarchy, page layout, figures, tables and captions)
- review formatting (widows/orphans are eliminated, tables are not split unnecessarily, page layout)
- ensure integrity (that all the thesis elements are present and in the correct place).
Option 4: Manuscript preparation / formatting / styling
The Detail Devil takes great pride in styling your manuscript so that it presents professionally and beautifully. Full formatting will
- create and apply Word styles to every part of your document, including headings, body, block quotes, tables, table/figure captions, bulleted/numbered lists, references, appendices, glossary and any other style you might need, ensuring adherence to your preferred style guide
- ensure correct table, figure and appendix numbering throughout, with styles applied
- create the Table of Contents and Lists of Tables, Figures, Acronyms and Appendices
- ensure correct page numbering (with preliminary pages in Roman numerals), applying section breaks where required
- assemble all parts of your manuscript and check all the elements are present and in the right place
- ensure your manuscript presents professionally and beautifully.
Option 5: Reference formatting
Your reference list will be formatted to your preferred referencing style.